No preparation is needed. However, when scheduling your MRI/MRA appointment, please let our staff and technologists know if you have any of the following conditions:
NOTE: If you are having a 3T MRI, you must bring your implant device card with you to your appointment to verify compatibility on the 3T MRI.
- Heart Pacemaker
- Aneurysm Clips
- Heart Valve Replacement
- Ear Implant
- If you’re on Dialysis (dialysis patients may not receive gadolinium)
- Implanted Insulin or Drug Dispensing Pump
- Shunt (Bypass),
- Nerve or Muscle Stimulator
- Any type of Internal or External Electrodes or Wires
- Implanted Mechanical Items (pins, rods, screws, etc.)
- Any Clip, Coil, Filter or Stent in Blood Vessels
- Any type of Surgical Clips and Staples
- Medication Patch
- Electronic or Magnetic Implant
- Had an injury to your eye(s) with metal
If you’re getting an MRI/MRA with IV Contrast
For IV Contrast patients, you should stay hydrated and should drink 16 oz. of water prior to your exam and 16 oz. of water after your exam.
MRCP (with & without Contrast)
This is the ONLY MRI exam that requires NPO (Nothing By Mouth). Please DO NOT EAT OR DRINK for at least six (6) hours prior to your appointment.
Do not eat 6 hours prior to the exam. Drink 16 oz. of water prior to arriving at the office. Arrive an hour before scan time and you will be given a solution to drink in the office. Do not drink water while drinking the Volumen solution.
Refrain from consuming any blood thinner medications, aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil/Aleve 3 days prior to your exam.