Ultrasound of the Abdomen with Liver Elastography
What is a Liver Elastography?
It is a non-invasive diagnostic imaging study used to measure the degree of liver stiffness or scaring, known as fibrosis. The technology measures the velocity of a sound wave passing through the liver providing a liver stiffness measurement. The measurement of liver fibrosis is used to assess the stage of liver disease in patients, providing a non-surgical alternative to the traditional liver biopsy.
- Fibrosis staging of chronic liver disease
- Evaluation of patients with unexplained portal hypertension
- Assessment of patients with known cirrhosis
- Follow-up on previously diagnosed fibrosis
- Follow-up to assess response to treatment in patients with viral hepatitis
- Genetic diseases such as hemochromatosis and Wilson’s disease
Benefits of Biopsy:
- No pain
- No sedation
- Short exam
- Less expensive
Patient Prep and Locations:
Patient must fast 6 hours prior to the exam.
Liver Elastography is performed in our Nutley, West Caldwell and Jersey City offices
ORDER AS: US ABDOMINAL COMPLETE WITH LIVER ELASTOGRAPHY
76700…….US ABDOMINAL COMPLETE
Follow normal insurance requirements for referrals and authorizations. Not all health plans cover Elastography.
Horizon NJ Health will require authorization for both the US and the Elastography codes.